What Does The Bible Say About Mothers Day?
The Bible consistently asks followers to honor and love their mothers. Examples of this can be seen in Exodus 20:12, “Honor your father and your mother,” and Leviticus 19:3, “Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father.”
Although the day of mothers is a relatively recent holiday in modern society, there have been variations of related holidays over the years.
The Bible does not mention in its verses directly the holiday of the Day of Mother, but often addresses the celebration of motherhood, for instance in the following passages.
See the pages below for our favourite selections from the verses on the Best Mothers Day Bible Verses For 2021.
- “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way, it is not irritable or resentful, it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- “Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.” – Proverbs 23:22-25
- “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.” – Galatians 5:22-23
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.” – Exodus 20:12
- “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.’” – Proverbs 31:28-31
- “Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father.” – Leviticus 19:3
- “The man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.” – Genesis 3:20
- “Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.” – Proverbs 31:25-28
- “And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed.’” – Luke 1:46-48
- “A gracious woman gets honor…” – Proverbs 11:16
- “Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.” – Proverbs 1:8-9
- “Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children…” – Deuteronomy 4:9
- “When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.” – John 19:26-27
- “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.” – Isaiah 66:13
- “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.” – 1 Peter 4:8
- “And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.” – Luke 2:51
- “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” – 3 John 1:4
- “So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.” – 1 Corinthians 13:13
- “Then the mother of the child said, ‘As the Lord lives and as you yourself live, I will not leave you.’ So he arose and followed her.” – 2 Kings 4:30